Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An open letter

Dear Prospective Georgetown Undergrads,

Hello. I am a 2005 graduate of the fine university you're considering attending. I am also a prospective graduate student for the fall, and spent the day on campus for an open house. As such, I'd like to share some things with you:

Good Lord, are you all a spoiled bunch.

Now, please don't take that personally. It's just that, after seeing the changes that have happened in the four years since I graduated, I can't believe how the University is coddling you. Have you seen the food court in the Leavey Center? I bet you were all, "Oh, huh, a Taco Bell, KFC, and Subway. That's kinda cool." I, on the other hand, thought, "JESUS CHRISTMAS! They have a KFC now?!? WTF?"

You see, when I was an innocent freshman, the food court had two sandwich shops (not Subway), a pizza place selling the exact same pizza found in the dining hall, and a Taco Bell express. My sophomore year, they got rid of Taco Bell, and replaced it with an empty space. NO ONE ate here. Maybe some campus visitors who didn't know any better, but if we had to be in Hoya Court we made sure to get something from Vittles or Uncommon Grounds. And you had to get to Vittles early to make sure you got something decent. Now I hear rumors of a Cosi?!? You know when I first ate at Cosi? When I was 22 and an alumna, that's when! If we wanted Subway, we had to walk 1/2 mile both ways, uphill, in the snow, to Wisconsin or M. Burger King? Rosslyn. KFC? HA!

Moving on. The on-campus bar. The one mere steps away from where I lived my sophomore and senior years. The one that used to be a dining hall that wasn't open on the weekends. Do you know what we had to do if we wanted to drink at 5? We walked across campus to the Tombs, the way John Carroll intended. Yes, it was cold in winter, and, yes, the campus is one big wind tunnel, but so much greater was the joy of arriving in the basement of 36th and Prospect. Sure, we could have gone to Hoyas, but who the hell went to Hoyas?

Anyway, I just wanted to share these thoughts with you. Oh, and please turn your music down and get the hell off my lawn.

Thank you,

M Slash

3 comments:

Cat said...

Here here!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Earl...did you forget the three jobs you had..that is three in the am and three in the pm, every day..that would surely show these "newbies" what the alumni stock is made of! happy walking!!!

winkingannie said...

THEY HAVE A BAR? I am jealous. But kudos on going back when there is a KFC and a subway. Skills.