Monday, April 13, 2009

RIP, Harry



A great voice was silenced today. Like most Phillies fans of my generation, I grew up listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn do the play-by-play and color. Even though the team was horrible for most of those years, it was always worth tuning in just to hear them call the game. My first Phillies-related memory is Mike Schmidt's retirement at the Vet, and hearing Harry do a home-run call for him for the last time. When I was about eight, I used to use the remote as a microphone and pretend to be calling the game in the booth with them. Everything was better when he was the announcer: baseball, NFL documentaries, the Puppy Bowl, Campbells soup commercials.

A sad day for Philadelphia. As David Montgomery said, "We lost our voice today."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this...the end of a legend...so sad.