Sunday, July 19, 2009

Spoilers!

I saw the the latest Harry Potter last week. I enjoyed it, but then, I tend to take the movies as a separate entity from the books. It's easy to see how some might be dissatisfied with it, for the weirdness of the Harry/Ginny kiss and overly emotional Hermione. The one thing I wished they had done, though, was spend more time investigating Voldemort's background, if only because at least one of those scenes in the book is a major clue about a horcrux. Then again, since they're splitting Deathly Hallows into two movies, I guess they'll have time, if they cut enough of the camping scenes.

I also didn't like how Harry witnessed the Draco/Dumbledore/Snape scene at the end, from under the astronomy tower without being immobilized. I get why they did that, but given that Harry has ignored authority plenty of times if he thought evil forces were afoot, I don't see why he'd follow Dumbledore's orders now. That's a charater trait that's been shown again and again since Sorcerer's Stone.

Also, wow, Dumbledore, what a cockblock.

2 comments:

winkingannie said...

I enjoyed the movie. I didn't get why the end totally skipped the death eaters actually invading Hogwarts and having the Order arrive to fight. The death eaters were like "school children? we'll just leave those innocent little hearts be." Also, is deathly hollows totally skipping bill/fleur's wedding? I did enjoy all of the focus on Draco, since he basically disappears in the next book.

MK said...

From what I hear, the wedding is in the next movie. At least, Clemence Poesy is supposed to be in it, and they've cast someone for Bill.
And I guess they didn't want to have a Battle of Hogwarts now and then do the same thing again in the 2nd part of Deathly Hallows.