Tuesday, October 7, 2008

And then let's go to the Ranch House

There has been some criticism of Sen. Biden for referring to a restaurant on Union Street that has been closed for 20 years. And that wasn't on Union Street. Well, I'd like to defend him, not as a Democrat, but as a Wilmingtonian.

First, that entire area is referred to as "Union Street." I guess it would technically be Little Italy, but when referring to it in conversation one would say "over by Union Street" or "near St. Anthony's."

Second, long-time residents of the city tend to refer to locations by what they used to be, in a passive-aggressive way of boasting about how long they've lived there. For example, I might tell someone that I dropped my car off for an oil change at Campanella's, next to the old Wanamaker's building. Wanamaker's closed 17 years ago. An older person might give directions that refer to the old Wilmington High on Pennsylvania Avenue. The school moved in 1960. Wilmington High doesn't even exist anymore.

My point is, was the Senator actually thinking of another restaurant? Probably. But would a native Wilmingtonian of his generation have known what he meant? I'd argue yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hardily agree with this explanation of the Wilmington psyche- a way to brag about how deep one's roots are and to insure you are not mistaken for an interloper. On Lancaster Ave. one might refer to near "Poncell's Drug Store", which closed about 35 or 40 years ago- but is a convenient way to communicate with those "in the know".