Sunday, October 5, 2008

Question

This has been bothering my lately: When you go to the dentist, is it not common practice to make your next appointment while there? I've always done so, and the secretary at my current dentist even brings the appointment book into the room while I'm in the chair. In April, however, my uncle expressed astonishment that I already knew I had a dental appointment in July. My cousin has even accused me of having an affair with my dentist (he's a great guy, don't get me wrong, but not my type. And we have the same last name, so we're probably related). I've done some unscientific polling, and have gotten mixed results, so I'm just wondering.

BTW, I'm headed back in early February. In case you cared.

4 comments:

Anna said...

When I lived in California, my dentist - Dr. Burg, a childhood friend of my father's - always scheduled my next appointments right there after the current appointment; if I didn't know right then and there when I had time in my schedule, I'd call later in the week to set up a day and time. Now, out here, it's more of a, "We'll let you know" thing: I went in around March and was told I'd get a postcard in the mail about my next six-month cleaning, which I promptly received at the end of September. So there you have it.

lacochran's evil twin said...

I can't commit to next week much less 6 months from now.

There's a very funny stand up comic, who's name escapes me, who says "We go to the dentist every 6 months...... because he tells us to!"

He's right. You don't see anybody else every 6 months. It's a scam.

[F]oxymoron said...

I tend to play it by tooth, thus I'm gonna have to agree with your cousin. You're clearly having an affair with your dentist.

winkingannie said...

I always schedule my next appointment before I leave. I'm on a December/June schedule. :)