Monday, October 13, 2008

Ha-HA!

Jeopardy! tonight has proven that I'm not up on my "shires".

I had a good weekend in South Bend, except that I left my coat there, so it's a good thing it's supposed to be in the 70s and 80s this week. I won a dollar from a gentleman foolish enough to bet against me concerning knowledge of Philadelphia sports. Now, I don't claim to be a master of this subject, but he was arguing that the Phillies have only been in existence since the late 1940s AT THE EARLIEST. I immediately countered that they are one of MLB's oldest franchises, and have been around since at least the beginning of the 20th century. He refused to believe me, saying that I was thinking of the As. Apparently it's hard to believe that Philadelphia could have once had two baseball teams. Anyway, I asked if he wanted to put some money where his mouth was, as I was rather confident that I was right. After we agreed on a dollar (lame, yes, but I think someone knew he was going to lose!) I went straight to the Wikipedia entry which states the Phillies were founded in 1883. A dollar richer was I!

That was perhaps the highlight of my trip, along with the sign outside of Bob Evans that said:
"KNIFE FORKS
STARTING AT $5.99"
If you have any idea what this might mean, please enlighten me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for the Phillies to suck.

No comments: