Monday, August 4, 2008

There was also a lot of big band music

People often ask me what it was like growing up with older parents. I don’t know what to compare it to, so I just say it was normal. What made my childhood different, I think, was that my father was retired, and therefore stayed home with me every day. He was very much a man of routine, and every weekday until I went to school full-time we followed the same schedule. We would go to the park, where I would enjoy the swings and slides and he would enjoy the cigars that he wasn’t allowed to smoke in the house. On the ride back home, we would make stops at the Acme, the cigar store, and, if the horses were running that day, his bookie. Oddly, I was never allowed out of the car for that one.
After lunch? I was given a choice: we could watch either The Rockford Files or Perry Mason. If I didn’t want to see either, I could go upstairs and read. This probably explains why I went through so many books as a child. And also why I’m so fond of James Garner.

2 comments:

Cyndy said...

Big band music is cool. It wasn't my era, but somehow it's become part of who I am.

M Slash said...

But what are your feelings on James Garner?