Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mmmmmmm

I took advantage of Burger King's offer of a free Whopper if I "sacrificed" ten of my facebook friends (and thank Jebus I did so yesterday!). Very easily done, and I didn't even have to sacrifice Toast like I thought I might!

Anyway, I came across a post about this promotion on CNET, and I think some of the commenters missed the point of the campaign, if not the point of facebook itself:

"Who do I know that is their friendship is worth less than free food?"

"Crappy food ploys for crappy people.
It's funny how people complain about stars that sell out, yet they'll barely wince to delete a friend for junk food.
"

"Again another negative Burger King campaign. I guess I need to write to them again. Last time I wrote was about the Kill the King commercials.
Sorry. I have a problem with advertising that says hurt someone else to satisfy yourself. I'm in advertising, so I think I have a right to say it. But I feel everyone should complain when they see this type of thing. Advertising is insidious. It's a form of brainwashing. So when there is something repeated... like the candy commercial where the kid is thinking how he can get rid of his friends so he can have the candy all to himself... it puts a message in the subconscious to be hateful, don't share - even with friends.
My apologies for my tirade. I find most advertising is produced by imbeciles who never left the playground.
Hope you have a beautiful day!"

Thank you! But how is this a "negative" campaign? I choose to believe that BK is issuing a wakeup call to its patrons regarding the amount of non-friends they have as facebook friends. Picking 10 of these to sacrifice is hardly making Sophie's Choice, here, people. Rather, it's a choice as to what matters more: free food, or a number that is slightly-but-not-really indicative of one's popularity?
I will enjoy my Whopper with pride.

No comments: