Monday, January 12, 2009

A thousand violins are playing for me

It took me a long time to accept my first name. I've never been a huge fan, as it's a little too obscure (nothing weird, though, my parents were sane). In the past year or two, I've become OK with it, although there are still things I dislike.

First off, it sounds similar to other, more common names, and so when I introduce myself to someone in a loud area they often do a double-check, only with the wrong name. Sometimes I'll correct them, other times I don't bother. Hell, when am I going to see you again? That's right.

Second, and I know others of you out there with uncommon names can relate to this, did you ever want a personalized souvenir when you were little? Like, say, a toothbrush or a pen or one of those fake street signs? Toast got one of those when we were young. I won't reveal her name here, but let's just say the hospital probably had a betting pool on how many girls would be born on the floor with her name that year. A young child, I could not quite grasp why I couldn't have my own street sign as well. I have searched in vain in the years since, every time I venture into a souvenir shop I am drawn to the displays of license plates and keychains. Much like Bart in the clip below, I am often dumbfounded by some of the names on these things, while the thousands of people with my name are left to suffer.


1 comment:

winkingannie said...

Dude, I feel your pain. Anne-Marie is not easy to find. Rarely do I get it. My parents used to try to appease me by buying two: Anne and Marie, but I was not having it. ;)