Sunday, August 9, 2009

DC Hipsters

I was hanging out with some people on Thursday, two of whom were relatively new to DC (6-8 months here). I forget how we got on the topic, but we started talking about Wonderland, which I said I didn't like because there are too many hipsters there. One of the newbies piped up with, "Hipsters don't go to Wonderland! It's a dive bar!"

...

Yes. According to this very nice, if misled, young man, Wonderland is not a hipster bar. For those of you outside DC, Wonderland is a bar in a gentrifying neighborhood that serves beer in goblets to people wearing ironic clothes. In fact, I believe anyone who dares to do anything un-ironically while there is thrown out. They offer the right mix of "exotic" beers and, as they call them, "great American standards":


Jesus, they have an exclamation point after Pabst Blue Ribbon! PABST BLUE RIBBON! Or, as you may know it, THE hipster beer of choice. (Although I guess they also enjoy Miller Highlife? I'm gonna say it right now: Keystone will be next.) This is damning evidence, because no one would get that excited about PBR unless they're wearing skinny jeans, converse high-tops, and a flannel shirt.

Hell, type in hipster and DC in Yelp, and look at what you get:



I rest my case.

4 comments:

DarkHorse said...

Oh... my... God...

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/dsc00316qpf.jpg/

1: Flannel Shirt

2: Converse

3: PBR that is being excitedly reached for

4: Obnoxiously high end beers including Delirium Tremens

And this is on a Sunday afternoon at my house. I feel like I've been pigeonholed...

Cat said...

Hahahaha, you totally just described DarkHorse. Srsly.

MK said...

Oh...oh, dear.

Me said...

I had to see what you had to say on the matter. Love it. Do you think we should bring it up on Thursday? The yelp search that is.