Sunday, March 15, 2009

And I got an hour back!

I walked down to Palermo viejo yesterday to do some shopping. It was another day of God-awful humidity, when it can't decide if it is humid enough to rain or not. I walked down calle Armenia, where the trendy shops suddenly stop and a huge Armenian church appears. Across the street from the church is a cultural center that houses a restaurant and tango classes for the public. Looking in a guidebook here in the hostel, it says the neighborhood is populated with "Buenos Aires' large Armenian Jewish community." I had to read that sentence a few times to make sure I hadn't missed a key word between "Armenian" and "Jewish", since, well, I don't think all of the Armenian Jews in the world would be enough to be considered a "large" community. (Wikipedia tells me there are 750 Jewish people in Armenia. Frankly, that's more than I would have thought). Anyway, I suppose the author of that section missed the huge church that takes up one side of the block.

For dinner, I went to a cheap parrilla in San Telmo, and then walked back to the hostel with a few people. We stopped to listen to some live music at a bar on 9 de Julio, and had a few beers while there. Eventually, I, as is customary on this trip, ended up back in Palermo Viejo where people were lining up down the block for some bars. Absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, a good night, and now I'm off to walk around some more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strictly speaking the Wikipedia article did not even say that the Jewish folks in Armenia are ethnically Armenian. It is not inconceivable some of them only LIVE in Armenia- strengthening your raised eyebrows about the description "large".