Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Suspicion

My place of employment has an emergency system that automatically phones and emails employees when something is amiss. A few weeks ago, we received alerts on consecutive days, the first because the water had been shut off in the building, and the second because the cafeteria would be closed for breakfast. With this precedent, you'd think that they'd contact us when the company was going to be opening on a two-hour delay due to snow. You would, of course, be mistaken. I suspect they didn't want to spread the word too much, and instead hope that some employees would arrive on their normal schedule. Luckily, I knew to call the secret number on the back of our ID badges, and so didn't give them any of my time for free (we got paid for those two hours). Of course, if I had been one of those poor souls who showed up on time, I would have just found a nice place to nap.

No comments: