Saturday, July 5, 2008

Oh HELL no

Now, if you read my profile (I'll wait............), you'll see that I'm a big fan of the classic tale, The Monster at the End of this Book. I recently bought it for my adorable 10 month-old cousin, and was going to buy it for another little cousin this weekend. The Borders near my house, however, did not carry this title, but instead had this horror. First of all, what the hell is this? A little searching dug up this book, and if you would please note the similarities between the two covers, you'll see that poor Grover has been shoved into the background by Elmo. I don't think I have to tell you that Elmo is not the best companion for a trip inside a haunted house. Compare the expressions on their faces. Grover looks appropriately scared at the idea of a monster in the house, while Elmo clearly does not comprehend such danger. Now, before you point out that Elmo might have just heard about Grover's past experiences with monsters, and finds the idea amusing, let me tell you something about this book:

(WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD)


THERE ARE ACTUALLY MONSTERS IN THE HOUSE. Grover was proven right, people! He is no longer the laughingstock of Sesame Street! However, while I am excited that Grover has finally been vindicated, what, exactly, is the point of this story? Does the original not prove that fear of the unknown can be a silly thing? Does it not teach us that the most obvious answer is often the correct one? Do we not learn that we are strong enough to tear down a brick wall? What do we take away from this new version? Beware of signs that there are monsters in the house, because there probably are? I'm not pleased, Sesame Street.

EDIT:
OK, I just found this on Amazon. ENOUGH, ELMO, THIS BOOK IS GROVER'S TIME TO SHINE. Good God.


No comments: